Tlaxcallan in the Náhuatl language, the ancient language of the Aztecs means "The place where we can find the tortillas or the maize bread". The state of Tlaxcala is located in the High Plane of Central México, about 75 miles east from Mexico City, 20 miles north of Puebla City and 205 miles west from Veracruz seaport city. Tlaxcala state occupies a total area of 2,496 square miles and around 1,367 miles above the sea.
As a Government entity, the state of Tlaxcala is divided in 60 towns or municipalities, the weather is mild mostly from May to October with some humidity and rain throughout the season.
The state has two main plains: one in Calpulalpan and the other in Huamantla.
The template weather which prevails through the year allows it to have a rich variety of plants and animals.
The construction started on 1545 and it was divided in three main parts: to the east there was the Corn Exchange Place, in the middle the Town Hall and to the west side, the Royal Houses. The Palace preserves the original Arabic influenced archways.
Built over a 16th century temple, it still preserves the Baroque Palafoxiano style facade with 19th century Neo-Classic interiors. There is also a Baroque Style chapel with a unique image of the Virgin of Guadalupe painted over mother-of-pearl shells and another chapel dedicated to the Holy Child of Tlaxcala, which locals believe to be very miraculous.
This former Congress building opened on May 10th 1901 and it's a visible proof of the Art Nouveau architecture in the new world. Details as the Imperial type staircase, the beautiful slim columns with their steeled made shafts, the blacksmiths' work on the windows or the fleur-de-lis carved in the balconies are a delight to see.
The chapel is divided in two segments: the oldest is adjacent to a small park; it was built with the famous xalnene stone at the late 16th century. The premises are more contemporary, bigger and are still in use. Saint Nicholas Chapel has also one tower, a small belfry and two domes; one of them being a sail dome.
The Palace was built in 1950 and it was planned to be home for the Higher Education Studies Institute of the State of Tlaxcala. It preserves its three original cut brick facades with gray quarried stone. Also the blacksmiths' gate work around the Palace was influenced by French architectural style.
It is consider one of the first four Convents constructed inland the American continent, from 1524 to 1540. The Franciscan Convent Our lady of Asuncion preserves its original wooden ceiling work, the first pulpit of the New Spain territories and also the baptismal font where The Four Lords of Tlaxcala received the religious faith of the Spaniards.
The oldest part of the arena dates from the late 18th century. In the 1950's it was renewed and improved and it's considered to be the most important bullring of Tlaxcala. It was named after a great Mexican matador, Jorge Aguilar a.k.a. "El Ranchero".
It is said this Sanctuary was built to honor the apparition of the Virgin Mary to the indigenous man Juan Diego Bernardino in 1541; this place it's considered one of the best examples of the Baroque Architecture in the 18th century. Take especial attention to the side-chapel within the apse, one of the finest indigenous baroque artwork of the Americas.
This is the place where the apparition of the Virgin of Ocotlan took place in 1541 and it is inside a small chapel covered with murals depicting biblical themes and the story of how the Virgin of Ocotlan appeared to Juan Diego.
Built in 1525, this chapel was used to perform masses for the nobility of converted indigenous people or "Indians" as they were called in that time. There are two relevant stone carved details: the Austrian coat of arms, and the Imperial house coat of arms.
This xalnene stone construction used to bring water from a well to a windmill and in the 20th century to a hydroelectric plant.
The stairway of the heroes has 250 steps and it is surrounded by sculpted busts of Mexico's founding fathers from the Independence and the Revolution periods. The staircase finishes with a full sculptured image of local hero Xicohténcatl Axayacatzin.
Tizatlán's botanical garden is home for the plants and natural species of the region. The most attractive and interesting ones we find here are: a coniferous forest, cacti, medicinal plants, ornamental plants, aquatic plants and a beautiful green house.
The construction goes from the 16th to the 19th century and it still preserves its original Rococo style façade and the interior keeps intact the 19th century iron works decoration.
These two gateways were built from the 16th to the 20th century; and they used to limit the market area or Parian, where products brought from Spain, Portugal or even the Philippines were sold.
The Convention Center or business center it's located inside the fair venue of Tlaxcala. It has the capacity for 2,500 persons and equipped with the latest technology to host any type of event.
The Theater dates from the second half of the 19th century. In here there used to take place different performances and varieties like the circus, cockfighting and dances. The façade was made in gray quarry stone from Xaltocan in the 20th century.
Constitution Square was traced in 1525. Here there are several touristic attractions like the Holy Cross Fountain which was a gift from King Phillip IV to the city of Tlaxcala and also a gazebo from the 19th century.
Nowadays is the San Francisco Mission Hotel. The Old Stone-Built House dates from the 16th century but it was renewed in the 19th century. It has an eclectic façade which gives the building its name.
The Chapel was constructed in the 17th century and according to the locals it has a miraculous image of Christ. The Chapel adopted its name during the religious war from 1924 known as "La Cristiada". It has only one tower and an atrium which functioned also as an old cemetery.